Photography by JKG
Although learning to love yourself is a journey you embark on that can usually take a pretty long time, there are in fact lots of simple ways you can practice self love, some of which can be done on a daily basis.
To get your head in the 'self love zone', imagine yourself as your best friend and someone you really care about. What do you tell your friends when they feel down? What do you do for them just to say 'thanks for being you'. How do you uplift them? How do you show them you're worthy?
Now adopt all of that for yourself.
Taking care of number one shows the rest of the world how you deserve to be treated. Speaking kind words to yourself and doing wonderful things just for you, is important for a fulfilled and happy life.
I never really realised the importance of self care and self love until this year so I hope these 29 simple ways can help to change your life, how they have done to mine.
1. Adopt a positive morning routine. Mine is mediation, burning incense, having a yummy breakfast and using my favourite shower gel. Make sure your routine makes you feel calm, relaxed and ready to take on the day.
2. Delete your social media apps so that you don't waste time scrolling and/or comparing your life to others. (I do this every few weeks, just for a few days and it really helps)
3. Go for a massage - you can completely submerge yourself in relaxation whilst reliving your body from stress.
5. Bake something d e l i c i o u s. Cookies, brownies, cupcakes etc. There is no harm with indulging.
6. Remember to have some alone time. Take yourself out for coffee or have a long hot bubble bath.. or both!
7. Get off your phone an hour or so before you plan on sleeping. Your brain then has enough time to switch off so that you can fall into a sleep much easier.
8. Stop saying 'yes' to everything and everyone.
9. Clean or organise. Go through your wardrobes or sort out your book collection.
10. Light your favourite candle, snuggle under your blanket and watch a good 90s classic film.
11. Cut off toxic people and leave any relationship where you are made to feel like you're not good enough.
12. Go to a gig (live music is the best)
13. Do things you're passionate about - no matter how weird or wonderful.
14. See your friends more. Sometimes, work and other priorities can wait.
15. Express yourself. Dance, draw, paint, make, build. Be a child every once in a while.
16. Write down your qualities and put them next to your bed. Read them every morning (or when you feel like you need to). They can be a little pick me up when you need a reminder of how fucking awesome you are.
17. Make to do lists so that you can brain dump all of your thoughts. Plus, ticking things off is super satisfying.
18. Plan a party or casual get together. I really want to have a 90s kid party with all of my girlfriends. Pass the parcel and pineapple & cheese on a stick, anyone?
19. Compliment someone.
20. Compliment yourself.
21. Visit an animal shelter or the RSPCA and cuddle or walk some puppies.
22. Tell yourself 'I am beautiful. I am worthy. I am enough'.
23. Go food shopping. Buy wholesome delicious foods but also buy your favourite sweet treats too!
24. Give yourself a reason to go out and celebrate. Passed an exam? Dumped your fuck boy bf? Anything.
25. Write a list of all the things you're grateful for.
26. Take breaks throughout your day to get fresh air.
27. If you feel stressed, sit in a quiet room for a few minutes, take in some deep breaths and count to ten. Do this as many times as you need. Your health is your wealth - remember that.
28. Read a good book or watch an uplifting TedTalk.
29. Learn to forgive yourself. Forgive yourself for lacking in self love, forgive yourself for failing your exam, forgive yourself for not being a good enough friend, forgive yourself for forgetting how incredible you are.