Reflection & hinds sight is a wonderful thing & as we have just entered a brand new year I wanted to share with you what I have learned in 2014.
1. You’re not a jar of Nutella, you can’t make everybody happy. This can be applied to anyone & everyone, in lots of different situations. For me, it relates to Youtube and dealing with peoples opinions. It took me a long time to realise that even if I like something, or I am happy with something, not everyone else is going to be and thats okay. Life isn’t about pleasing people. Its about pleasing yourself.
2. Im an emotional eater. When I’m happy I eat, when I’m sad I eat. I know I’m not alone in this but its been a really really REALLY hard year for me weight/food wise. I’ve pretty much yoyo-ed for the last 12months and felt out of control for the most part. Im making a conscious decision to focus on my health for 2015 & slimming down to my goal weight.
3. People come & go. I used to moan & moan, and really struggle with losing friends & people walking in & out of my life, but this year I just haven’t cared. I’ve realised that its all part of growing up and I don’t need to take things so personally. Of course, if someone is using me or only talking to me on their terms, then that isn’t cool, but I’m so over forcing friendships to work and trying to keep people around me. If someone is meant to be in my life, they will be. Screw everyone else.
4. When it feels right, it usually is. You know that gut feeling everyone bangs on about? Well, that gut feeling pretty much tells you what you already know. When making decisions whether it be, getting into a relationships or going to uni, obviously work out the pro’s and con’s etc, but also listen to that gut of yours – its there for a reason! My boyfriend Simon came at the most random time & everything appeared to happen pretty fast, but when people say things like ‘You & Simon haven’t been together that long.. blah blah blah’, I just smiled. It feels right to me, so I’m going with it.
5. Anything is possible. A few weeks ago I looked back at my goals for 2014 and realised I have ticked off more than half. How amazing is that? I guess I forgot what some of my goals were but working hard this year has made them happen & they have somehow fallen into place. 2014 has been one of the best years of my life & I now understand the meaning behind ‘anything is possible’.
6. Trust the timing of your life. When you’re meant to get that car, or you’re meant to win that award. You’re meant to book that holiday or you’re meant to leave that job.. It will happen when its meant too. There is no need to force or rush things because life works out for us all in the end. It’s never too late & everyone, even YOU, gets the chance to shine eventually.
7. What we think, we attract. Good or bad, negative or positive, our thoughts become things. We attract whatever we think about. Have you ever thought about an old friend & then you suddenly receive a text from them? Weird huh? Nope.. You thought about it so deeply, that you attracted that person into your life. This theory works with anything & everything. At night, before I go to sleep I often think about the things I want, the things I would like to achieve & eventually, these things start to happen for me. Its crazzzzzyyyyy! Try it.
8. Happiness is a journey not a destination. There isn’t a pot of gold at the end of your life that says ‘happy’. Happiness is a state that you can be in throughout your entire life. I take everyday as it comes & I try to see the good in something, even if I am having a difficult time.
9. Family mean more to me than I realised. Since the passing of my auntie Carla, I haven’t felt this close to my cousins and other family members since I was about 14 years old. My family are a little dysfunctional (like many) and there has been a huge divide throughout the years that has affected us all. I distanced myself from a lot of people, chose to work instead of seeing family & missed out on get togethers because I had ‘better’ things to do. Life is too short to miss out on spending time with loved ones. Creating memories has never been so important.
10. Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life. Working hard is awesome, working on your career is even better, but don’t lose sight of whats really important. I have wasted hours and hours of my life moaning over the smallest things, locking myself away in my room to sit on my laptop and edit a video & ignored phone calls from people because I had ‘so much work to do’. It isn’t worth it. Enjoy your life!!!! (but not so much that you can’t pay your bills lol)
11. I’m good enough. I often compare myself to others, career wise, how I look, pretty much everything. This year has taught me that I am good enough & just because I do things differently, it doesn’t mean that I am unworthy or below someone else. Winning my first ever award with Cosmopolitan & Next gave me the confidence boost I needed & I am forever grateful.
12. Long hair doesn’t suit me. To leave things on a lighter note, looking through my Instagram pictures I have decided I don’t like below the shoulder length hair on me. I prefer shorter hair with more volume as it frames my face a lot better. (Stay tuned for my next look featuring on the blog next week)
So thats all for now. There have been some lessons well learnt during the last 12 months & although some of them have been hard to learn, I feel stronger and more focused than ever. Here’s to an amazing 2015!!!!!