I know more than most how hard it actually is to be happy. Money worries, personal issues, illness, school woes, friendships ending, heartache – whatever you are going through, there is always something to be happy about. I know that may be hard to hear, but I have learnt that no matter how sucky things are, there is at least one reason to smile.
Here are my 10 tips on how to be happy.. (in no particular order)
1. Stop comparing yourself to others. You are you for a reason & thats okay. If we all lead the same lives, looked the same, had the same characteristics and personalities, the world would be the most boring place. Start being comfortable with you & your own journey. That other girl may have smaller thighs or perkier boobs, but does she make her friends laugh like you, or does she have an infectious smile? Every human has something another human doesn’t. What you have and what you don’t have is what makes you, you. You’re unique – you don’t need to be anyone else.
2. Write a list of things you’re thankful for. It’s so important to recognise what great things have and are happening to you. We live in a world where we always want more. We want better. And we are so consumed with getting more, that we completely forget to be thankful & grateful for what we already have.
3. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Will it matter a year from now? This tip is 100% a mind opener for me personally. Do you ever get moody or stressed at the smallest things? Do you lose your temper over finding a parking space or stepping in gum? These things are so insignificant. Whenever you start to lose your rag, moan to your family or get upset over something – simply ask yourself ‘Will it matter a year from now?
4. Eat healthy & exercise. The lifestyle you lead has the biggest impact on your mind. This includes the food you put into your body & how often you move your butt. Try to limit your intake of processed foods, sugary foods & fizzy drinks. If you put crap into your body, you are going to feel crap. If you put good into your body, you are going to feel good. Exercise releases the things I call ‘happy bugs’ (endorphins) and they honestly make you feel fucking great. Your body is a temple and you deserve to live like a queen inside of it.
5. Do the things that make you smile. This can be something small, this can be something big, but whatever you do, make sure it makes you smile. Go for a walk with your dog, go shopping, look after your baby cousin, take your mum out for cake & coffee, lay in bed with your favourite book, bake chocolate chip cookies – anything. We tend to forget the smallest things that make us smile. Its time to start remembering.
6. Think positively. The more positive you think, the more positive things will happen. Try and add this theory to every aspect of you life, and watch what happens. Our mind is a powerful thing and what we put into this world – we will also get out. Smile at a stranger, help an old lady across the street, tell your partner how much you appreciate them. Spreading positivity will increase positive things back to you.
7. Know your worth. If you love yourself, think highly of yourself and you know just how worthy you are, it is easier to weed out negative people & people who don’t have your best interests at heart. Being comfortable with the person you are & believing you deserve to be happy will result in you feeling happy. Surround yourself with people who lift you up when you’re down and want to see you succeed.
8. Take time out for YOU. This current generation is constantly on the go. Working hard, socialising, exercising, hobbies.. we just do so much now & it is grilled into us that if we aren’t busy, we are lazy. I, myself am a workaholic. I love being busy and being on the go, but I also like taking some time out for me. If I don’t, I crash and burn and that does more harm than good. Every evening before you go to sleep, take a minimum of 20 minutes to reflect on you. Have a relaxing bath, read your favourite book, grab some popcorn and watch a movie, whatever you choose to do, do it for you. Switch off your mobile, clear your mind and relax. This isn’t a time to feel guilty. You deserve this!
9. Learn to not give a fuck. Whatever you do in this world, people are going to judge you. You could give £10million to a charity & someone will still have something bad to say. As I have grown over the past few years I have learnt that people will have an opinion on you, no matter what, so its better to just not give a shit. I know its easier said than done, but the day you stop caring what people think, is the day you will see a glimmer of how amazing life can be.
10. If it doesn’t make you happy, don’t do it! This is probably my favourite tip, mainly because I completely live by it and it works. If something doesn’t make me happy, I just won’t do it. I don’t mean I won’t pay my bills because that doesn’t make me happy, because in the long run it does. If I don’t pay my bills, I can’t live in a nice house, or drive my car. I mean things like staying in a dead end job or going to a party just because of peer pressure – that kinda stuff. If you’re unhappy, do something about it! Take control. This is your life and your life only.
I hope this tips helped in some way. I needed a little ‘happiness’ pick me up so I hope this picked at least on you up too. Please feel free to leave your tips down below as I would love to hear them.